Friday 29 September 2017

Cephalopod Coffeehouse: September 2017





Hosted by The Armchair Squid who says: 

Welcome one and all to the Cephalopod Coffeehouse, a cozy gathering of book lovers, meeting to discuss their thoughts regarding the works they enjoyed most over the previous month.  Pull up a chair, order your cappuccino and join in the fun. 


This is a 5* read in my opinion. I have read quite a few of Toby Neal's books and can recommend all of them.  


Here is the blurb from Amazon 

Special Agent Sophie Ang's emotions are battered by a child kidnapping case that goes badly wrong. In tracking the criminal ring, her rogue data analysis program D.A.V.I.D. identifies an anomaly that leads her into a cat-and-mouse game online with a deadly enemy whose motives are unclear. The chase lures her through dark corridors of cyberspace into a confrontation with the violence from her past that sent her fleeing to the United States. She'll need every skill she's learned to defeat her worst nightmare--and the stakes couldn't be higher. 

Can Sophie both defeat her past, and protect her heart from a fascinating cyber vigilante?

MY REVIEW

This is the first book (270 pages) in the Paradise Crime Series by Toby Neal, classed as a cyberspace thriller/police procedure mystery.

Special Agent Sophie Ang is a FBI Agent, a martial artist who has escaped an abusive marriage.  The book opens with a bang and a rescue of a kidnapped child.


This is a well written novel, fast paced, action police procedure story with layers of cyber stuff written so well that even a technophobic reader like myself can understand it without getting bogged down in ‘cyber speak.’  It is a psychological thriller as well and all the layers are woven together effortlessly.  

A great book. 

If you like police procedural/mystery/thriller books with added bits and pieces, well written prose, no jumping around, a nice flow, good pace and great characters then you will enjoy this book. 

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a page-turner. I'm not usually as thriller fan, but I respect the diversity here.
    Thanks for sharing!
    V of V's Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love finding books that my husband and I can both enjoy (our genres don't always overlap), but this seems like one of them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a complex story; a good mystery for a sci-fi fan. Thanks for shairing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martial arts are a pull for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like one that might work for me. I've been reading a lot more of the mystery/thriller type stuff recently. Glad to know you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great book! I'll have to add it to my list :) Thanks for the review & rec.

    ReplyDelete